Wednesday, February 03, 2010

In search of the Perfect Bread recipe


I am a fledgling bread maker, and have yet to find the best recipe/method for perfect whole-wheat sandwich bread.

Any tips?

I do not have a bread machine. I’m not afraid of a little kneading, though it’s not my favorite pastime.

I don’t use shortening or margarine.

In my travels through Breadsylvania thus far, I’ve only gotten as far as Hockey Puck hamlet and Chewy Chapel Downs (that is, my bread has turned out more dense and harder than I hope, and more chewy than I like, for those of you in Rio Linda). ;)

So, all of you out there in radioland who have the secret map to the holy grail of breadmaking,

Lay it on me! :)

2 comments:

thelittlefluffycat said...

Wheat I Can Eat (my own recipe

--makes 4 1-lb loaves, can be split in half to make 2 1-lb loaves

5 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups spelt flour (I bet it can be all whole wheat)
1 cup cooked oatmeal (I use steel cut)
1 cup ground almonds
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup gluten
9 tsp yeast
4 tsp salt

--note--you're going to need to knead the heck out of this. Rise twice.

Bake about 16-20 minutes at 380 degrees.

Freezes well.

Brooke C said...

Ooo, spelt! Must try that. Thanks so much! :)