Wednesday, August 05, 2009

She can be taught..

Some things I am learning lately:
  • Writers are Readers, first and foremost. I could read all day about writing and never write a thing.
  • If pictures are indicators (which, um, they usually are), many writers appear to be sadly out of shape, which is great news for me! People could just take one look at me and think, "Wow, what a slob! She must be a very successful writer."
  • Even fiction is composed mostly of truth...you have to start with something you know and launch into the unknown..otherwise, it's not believable. Duh.
  • Pita and cheese with basil and tomato is a lovely lunch. And somewhat healthy.
  • This one is a bit alarming to me: today's teen/tween readers are into some gruesome stuff. Vampires, flesh-eating worms, witches, warlocks. This is what's 'cool' to read nowadays. That makes me queasy. Whatever happened to Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys? And is this stuff worth competing with? YES. For heaven's sake, literally. Though I'm not sure that it's my genre, somebody somewhere, I hope, is writing worthwhile stuff for these kids--stuff they actually want to read.
*yawn*...going to bed now. More to learn tomorrow.

1 comment:

djhilderbrand said...

I love the fact that the third "label" referencing this blog is "tomato". It could have been "worms" or "warlocks" or "Nancy Drew" ... but it is "tomato." So, anybody out there googling "tomato" is gonna find this tasty tidbit of philosophical meandering. There is just something so wholesome about that.