Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Voice of God

"...the sheep follow him: for they know his voice." (John 10:4)

In times of uncertainty, I have often wondered whether I was truly hearing the voice of God, or just my own wants and desires pushing me toward something. When standing at a fork in the road, it's easy to get confused and question every step.

It is at times like these when I remember the above verse, and I ask myself, "oh, my goodness--do I really know the voice of God?" and panic sets in. Tonight, during worship service, the Lord gave me clarity. The truth is: His WORD is His VOICE.

"The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." (John 6:63)

What has been recorded in those pages is the Living Word, the Voice of Jesus, with instruction and guidance for every day.

"The ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master's crib: but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider." (Isaiah 1:3)
Even 'dumb animals' know where to find their sustenance! A sheep knows where to find protection...he's been with the shepherd many times before, and he knows to always run to the same place, the same source, the same gentle voice.

I don't know much, but I know where to run for my refuge, because Psalm 46:1 says "God is our refuge and strength; a very present help in trouble." I've run to that beautiful, living scripture many times before.

If I need comfort, I can go to the Comforter who "shall...bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you,"and soon follow a flood of words like "I will never leave you, nor forsake you," and "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

The Living Word! Yes, I know that Voice!

It is the same first voice that called me into existence from nothing, that whispered to me through every Bible story in Sunday School, that shouted to me in fiery messages across the pulpit, that planted itself deep in my soul when I memorized Scriptures. It is the one that urges me to "pray without ceasing", "Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart...soul...mind...strength," "love thy neighbor as thyself," and reminds me that "greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world."

No more doubting where the ethereal thundering voice from heaven is. I know that Voice! He has written that Law upon my heart, and placed in that wonderful Book specific counsel for me, just waiting in the pages to be discovered (or brought back to remembrance) in a time of need.

No comments: